Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ordained Women in the Early Church

I realize that I’ve spent some time away from the blog here at “Men and Women in the Church.” I ask my readership to forgive me. In case you haven’t heard at the site, I own another blog here at blogspot called “The Center for Theological Studies.” There’s a link here at the top of the page. For those of you who wanna read more stuff (albeit things not pertaining to the women debate—but other theological issues), go to the CTS site. When you don’t hear from me here at “Men and Women” for a few days, it’s probably because I’ve been working at CTS. Check there from time to time to continue reading me even when this blog doesn’t have anything new on it.

Now, I wanna announce to my readership here that I’m starting a new series at the site, called “Ordained Women in the Early Church.” Some months ago in a random post (can’t remember it now), I introduced you to the book called “Ordained Women in the Early Church: A Documentary History,” by Kevin Madigan and Carolyn Osiek. Well, it’s been six months since I read the book, and I figure that, now, since my 100th post has already been written (our very first 100!), I would get started on something new. As usual, I’m back to arm my readers with more and more evidence against the prevailing “patriarchal” culture that insists that the idea of ordained women in leadership is novel.

As I progress in my travel through the book (again), I will note examples of real women who served in various offices in the early church. There are number of other surprises the book offers, so stick around to read the exciting information regarding roles of women in early church history.

As you know, I am currently in Seminary, a soon-to-be fourth-year Master of Divinity student in Christian Apologetics. I am studying everyday to be able to learn and defend what I believe. Although I believed my degree would prepare me to meet the unbeliever, I think my degree has also prepared me to, in some way, reform the Church of Christ herself.

For now, let’s just say that there’s a possibility that most of you have never even read of actual evidence to support the idea of women in any leadership role in the early church. Well, buckle your seat belts, folks—it’s gonna be a long but fascinating ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments should only be made related to the passages and issues discussed on the site. Biological arguments against women and men, name-calling, or violent religious language (or violent language in general) will not be tolerated.